Thursday, December 1, 2011

Long Day and a Fast Cruise

Today was a day I was hoping would not come so quickly, but alas we are here: Fast Cruise. (*the ship officially released this information*) It has been less than 5 months since Hubs came home from deployment #1 and now they are gearing up for the next one. Waah.

I'm not going to lie, I am not a very happy camper at the moment but that is mostly due to sleep deprivation and this dull headache I've had for 2 days now. Had to drop Hubs off at the pier for 4:30am this morning and Little Miss has somehow managed to only sleep in the car since then so I have gotten no sleep yet. After dropping him off, I did my super sneaky mind trick where I convince myself that Hubs has duty for XX amount of time so he's not really gone. It worked so well last time, this time however Little Miss is old enough to now ask where Daddy is: That snaps me out of my make-believe fairy tale land where deployments and work-ups do not exist. Kids are so dang perceptive. Or else I am just a really bad liar because she definitely did NOT believe me when I said Daddy is at work and will be home soon. Since my realization, I've been coming up with ways on how we are going to tell Little Miss about deployments. I am hoping the Elmo video from Fleet & Family will help out alot. Yah they have an Elmo video where he is talking about his Daddy going on deployment, how perfect is that?

This is my new reality. Yes, I know deployments are inevitable and are part of the deal when you are a part of the military. That does not mean I will be 100% okay with that fact all the time, but what it does mean is this: I have to accept it. I have to figure how to help Little Miss get through another deployment. No amount of whining, crying, or moping will change the Navy's mind and let Hubs stay home (but wouldn't life be grand if it did?). In the grand scheme of life, this is really a short blip of time. While right now it looks like a mountain, years down the road I can look back and say, "That wasn't easy, but it helped me get where I am today and appreciate what I have now."


So time to put on my big girl panties and tough out another deployment. Better to prepare now instead of waiting until the ship pulls away from that pier for a long time! I guess that is what work-ups are for, they prepare the sailors and the families for what is coming up ahead.











No comments:

Post a Comment