Saturday, August 25, 2012

Don't Worry, Be Crafty!

This week I have made multiple attempts to get back to "normal". My first task was to get back to crafting and cross more off my to-do list. I decided to tackle the Ikea APA Box Makeover I found on Pinterest. I was so inspired, I decided to makeover an unfinished step stool I found.




I am so excited, they turned out amazing!

This project was much easier than I originally thought. I was able to order the APA box online from Ikea for around $20. I bought 2 yards of fabric from Hancock Fabrics (Little Miss picked it out!) as well as the Heat 'n Bond. 

Following the instructions over at Little Free Radical, this all came together very quickly! In her tutorial, she paints the top of the box with chalkboard paint. I didn't want Little Miss to have chalk in her room for a few reasons: 1. I didn't want chalk dust everywhere upstairs, 2. I didn't want her drawing on the walls! For now, I just painted the top with green acrylic glitter paint. Eventually I want to paint a quote, I just haven't found the perfect one yet.

For the step stool, I used the same technique with the Heat 'N Bond & fabric after painting the stool brown. I finished by covering the stool in Americana Triple Thick Brilliant Brush-On Gloss Glaze. This gave the bench the high gloss finish.

Both of these projects were very easy and a novice crafter could easily complete. The most time consuming part was waiting for the paint to dry.




Now Little Miss has a place for all of her princess clothes, she is actually excited now when I tell her its time to clean up. We'll see how long that lasts...





1 comment:

  1. Love!!! Is this toybox sturdy enough to sit on? And is the lid easy to get on and off? I am thinking it needs hinges but don't want fingers slammed!?!? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete