Thursday, February 14, 2013

Our Valentines Day


I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of Valentines Day.
 
It puts too much pressure on people to show their love on just this ONE day of the year. Flowers are pretty and chocolates are yummy, but do they really mean more on Valentines Day? I believe that you should show your love and appreciation 365 days of the year. Why should one day in particular be any more special just because Hallmark says so?

I mean, I have nothing against flowers and chocolates! But I want to get them for reasons other than "because its Valentines Day". 

Like yesterday.

Yesterday was not one of my best days. I was in a sour mood for quite a few reasons. Mostly things that are beyond my control weren't going my way (imagine that...). Anyways while I was out and about running errands, Hubs picked up flowers, chocolates, and a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and totally surprised me. The gifts weren't because of Valentines Day, but because I needed a pick-me-up.



So I bet you are wondering what we are doing today to celebrate Valentines Day. Today we are just hanging out at home. Spending time with each other. Does that seem too simple? Well, this is the first Valentines Day in years that Hubs has NOT been on deployment or had duty like the last 3 years. 4 years ago I had morning sickness all day but thought it was the flu, so that Valentines Day wasn't great. Like I said, its been a while since we have "celebrated" Valentines Day together. 

And this is how I want to spend it: Together. At home. Time is the most important gift we can give each other because it is something that is so valuable, its priceless.

Oh yah, and we have gym time tonight too. Yup, we are working out on Valentines Day. I am making ribs for dinner, but it wasn't something special I bought just for Valentines Day. I totally got them on sale at the commissary last week for $0.99/lb.

We are definitely not normal. Haha!

For that special someone in your life, whether it is your spouse, significant other, someone you are dating, or your child, remember to show the love year 'round.   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment