Thursday, February 7, 2013

Race Day is Coming!




I can't believe that race day is Saturday! It totally crept up on me. I didn't enter the race until maybe 2 weeks ago because I wasn't sure if Hubs would have duty. I mean someone does have to be home with Little Miss, I'm not a fan of racing with her in the jogger. 

The last time I ran an event was the Blue Moon Wicked 10k back in October, I did better than I expected in that race. I finished in 57:54 at an average of 9:20 pace! I have to give credit to my running buddy who pushed me the whole race. She almost decapitated herself on the Christmas lights they were setting up along the Oceanfront...it was an entertaining run to say the least! Lots of people were in costume, her and I dressed as a cop and a "runaway" convict. The Blue Moon beer and Baker's Crust chili were amazing after the race too.

So the race on Saturday in the Virginia is for Lovers 14k. Its a Valentines' Day themed race, they even have a "Lovers Lane" with signs people paid to have posted (proceeds go to the Navy Seal Foundation) and a section with cheesy pickup lines. There are a few sailor ladies I have grouped up with and they made super cute running shirts so we will all match. There is one thing I am concerned about: the cold weather. I HATE running in the cold. I was raised in south Louisiana, I don't have lungs I have gills. When its cold, the air is dry and man my gills don't like it much. I ran outside last weekend in the cold and did better than I thought so I'm not so worried about it now.

My goal this time is to run at least a 9:30 mile. When I run on the treadmill, I run at a 9:40 pace. I usually run faster outside so we will see!

When I think about this race and I think about what shape I was in 3 years ago, its just crazy. I was 40 lbs overweight. I hated what I saw in the mirror, I hated how my clothes fit. I hated what I had allowed to happen to my body. People told me, its okay you had a baby a few months ago! But I had let myself go. I ate so much fast food, I didn't take care of myself. Growing up and even in college, I was very active. When I got pregnant I just stopped doing anything that resembled exercise. When I ate tons of food I just told myself that I was eating for two so its okay, I will just lose the weight by breastfeeding.

FYI, breastfeeding only helped me lose probably 10lbs.  

My metabolism had changed. The only way to lose the weight was the tried and true method: Eating less and moving more. I was too embarrassed to work out at the gym. So I started out simple, I worked out using the Wii Fit at home. I cut out the fast food. I started cooking more. I would get winded just from running in place!  To think that was 3 years ago and now I have the energy to run 8.64 miles FOR FUN!

Its been a long journey and it still amazes me to see how far I have come. After losing the weight, I came up with new goals. I wanted to be strong, I wanted to do things to show the strength I've gained. I can do pushups, like real pushups chest to the ground pushups. I can't do a whole lot, but I'm working on it. I can flip big tires too! Running these races also proves to me how strong I have become.

I think the biggest change for me has been that I don't need to live my life based on numbers on a scale. In order to like what I see in the mirror, I need to like myself first. Even if I am at my goal weight, if I am not happy with myself I will still not like my reflection. 

Like every weight loss journey, there are setback. Holidays, deployments...but what matters is not letting those setbacks deter you from achieving your goal. Getting back up after being knocked down shows alot more character then letting the setback define you. 

I hope that by sharing my story, it helps someone else realize they can do it too. By no means do I think I am special or spectacular, I was just motivated to change. As long as you keep fueling that motivation, you too will be amazed at what you can do. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment