Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sante Fe Chicken Recipe

While on the hunt for healthy and yummy recipes, I found this gem on Pinterest (I know you are surprised, right?). I decided to try it out last night but didn't want to wait for it to sit in a crock pot for hours, so I just put it all in my deep covered baker from Pampered Chef instead. After an unfortunate mishap with the brown rice that involved a minor explosion in my sink, the meal turned out great!


You can find the original recipe here at SkinnyTaste. 


The original recipe calls for a crock pot but since I was short on time I used my deep covered baker. I just cooked the chicken first in the dcb, drained it, shredded it, then added in the rest of the ingredients. I put it all in the oven on 350 for an hour while I cooked the brown rice. 

Since I am by no means a domestic goddess, I managed to burn the rice and had a minor KABOOM! in my sink. Luckily no one was hurt and only my pride was damaged. And no, I didn't take any pictures, I didn't want any evidence of this incident!


Once the Sante Fe Chicken was done, I put a whole grain soft tortilla in a bowl and poured the chicken over it. I added a dollop of fat-free greek yogurt and a pinch of shredded fat-free cheddar cheese. Honestly, the greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream when it is all mixed up.






It was very tasty and it made alot, much more than I need for just myself and Little Miss. I ended up freezing half of it for later. I love that I have a deep freezer!

This recipe did turn out a bit spicy, I would rate it about medium-hot. If you want it milder, add less cayenne or just don't add any at all and season it individually. 

You could also easily pour this over a bowl of tortilla chips (like a frito pie). Of course that wouldn't be as healthy, but I won't tell :)







No comments:

Post a Comment