Thursday, February 2, 2012

Moroccan White Bean Turkey Chili

I came across the most amazing chili recipe in one of my Pampered Chef cookbooks, so I tried it out tonight for the first time. Just one word to describe it: AMAZING! To make this recipe even better, I was able to prepare in 45 minutes and in my microwave.  

Ingredients:

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
1 medium onion
1 jalapeno pepper
1 medium green bell pepper
1lb lean ground turkey
1  1/2 tbsp paprika
1  1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili powder

3 tsp of Garlic Garlic seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
2 cans Great Northern beans, drained & rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
1 can petite diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
  • Coursely chop onion and jalapeno. Dice bell pepper. Combine onion, peppers, turkey, spices, Garlic Garlic seasoning, and salt in Deep Covered Baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles halfway through using the Mix 'N Chop.
  • Carefully remove baker from microwave. Add beans, tomato sauce, and tomatoes; mix well. Cover; microwave on HIGH 14-17 minutes or until simmering.



It. tastes. AMAZING. Did I say that already??


To make this even better, per serving there are 190 Calories, Total Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 22g, Protein 21g, Sodium 1320 mg, Fiber 6g. 


I made this recipe because I like chili, but I wanted something a little different and I have been searching for more recipes that are healthier. Now I did edit the recipe a bit; I used Garlic Garlic seasoning from Tastefully Simple instead of 4 cloves of pressed garlic. I also used all the spices instead of the Moroccan Rub from Pampered Chef.  This recipe was also rather inexpensive; I had almost all the spices on hand (I needed cumin anyways!), the Great Northern beans I found at Walmart for $.68 per can and all the other canned good were cheap as well. The most expensive ingredient was the ground turkey but I stocked up on some last time it went on sale!


If you do not already have a Deep Covered Baker, I strongly urge you to get one. I can't tell you how many quick, healthy meals I have been able to make in my microwave or oven with this stoneware. 


I am not sure how much Hubs will like this "exotic" recipe. I am a HUGE fan of curry so I was instantly attracted to it. Good thing he will be deploying so I can make this all the time without worrying if he likes it or not :)









No comments:

Post a Comment