Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY Fall Topiary!

I just couldn't wait any longer, I had to put out my fall decorations! I was going to wait until the official first day of fall but a good friend told me that since its past Labor Day it wasn't a faux pas to put out my decorations.
 
I love decorating my porch and since Michaels was having a massive sale, I couldn't resist. I found lots of inspiration on Pinterest and decided I wanted to create my own fall topiary!




This was so easy to make and it turned out so cute! Let me tell you how I did it:

All of the supplies came from Michaels (except the pots but I will explain that later) and were on sale this weekend.



The first part is cutting the tops off 2 of the 3 craft pumpkins. I used an old steak knife that I don't like to do this. 



Then I used hot glue to put the pumpkins together. Lots of hot glue...




I decided I wanted to personalize my topiary and added our initial onto the second pumpkin. I simply found a font I wanted (thanks Pinterest!) and printed it out. I cut out the initial and taped it onto the pumpkin so I could trace it.



After tracing it, I used some leftover acrylic paint to fill it and add a few swirly designs.



While this was drying, I went ahead and began using hot glue to attach the leaf garland in between the pumpkins. Once again, lots of hot glue.




Now it was time to attach the bow with hot glue (surprised huh?). I could've made it myself, but I had a 50% off one full priced item coupon!


At this point, the acrylic paint was dry so I used a high gloss varnish to seal the paint (same paint I used for THIS project).


Now about those pots I used. I have had these 2 pots for years now and I've killed everything I planted in them. Since the decorations not alive to begin with, I figured I was safe using them. The pots are 2 sizes, I simply turned one upside down and used the smaller one right side up. If you don't have 2 pots laying around, you can find pretty topiary pots at the craft store.



I used a grapevine wreath to go around the rim of the top pot. Then I used floral stems and stuck them into the grapevine wreath.





My tower of pumpkins fit perfectly into the top pot!



After making this fall topiary, I pulled out my other decorations and the new ones I bought at Michaels.





The garland around the door, the hay bale, and scarecrow were all from Michaels. Although the scarecrow was purchased years ago. The wreath on the door is from Homegoods. I found it at the end of the season on sale because it was missing a few embellishments, which I was able to find at Michaels and attach with hot glue!

I absolutely love how my front porch looks. It was so easy, I just had to share! Happy decorating :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment