Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY Ruffle Curtains

I spend way too much time on Pinterest, but if you've been reading my blog (especially the Tutorials section) then you know that already. 

I am in the process of re-vamping our master bedroom and the next part of my to-do list was to replace one more set of curtains. 

If you remember I painted the first set of curtains to match the comforter, you can check that post out here. 

For the last set of curtains, I wanted something more feminine. Then I found it: Ruffled Curtains! What is more feminine than ruffles? Not only did I find the curtains, I found a tutorial to make them. This is how mine turned out:
























These were VERY easy to make, the beginner sewer could easily put these together. Plus, its cheap. These curtains are made from 2 twin flat sheets from WalMart, cost $4.96 a piece!

I followed the $8 Ruffle Curtain Tutorial at A Boy, A Girl, and A Pug. She did a great job at the tutorial, it was very easy to follow. She even has pictures up showing you how to cut the sheets up properly. She put alot of work into this, you can tell. 


Even though this project is easy, it takes a while. I spent about 4 hours one day (including interruptions from my daughter!) and then an hour the next to finish it up. Its very monotonous work and just sewing straight lines. You have to hem all 10 strips of fabric before you ruffle them. Then you have to ruffle all 10 strips of fabric. Then you have to pin down all 10 ruffles. Then you have to sew them all down. See what I mean?

I followed the tutorial almost exactly. I hate ironing. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. But when you are sewing, its a necessary evil. I did NOT want to iron both of the sheets entirely, so I just tossed them in the dryer when I had a load of halfway dried laundry already in process. This way I knocked out most of the wrinkles and I could still cut the sheets up properly. When it came to hemming each of the 10 strips, then I busted out the iron the help fold the hem over. That is when I ironed each strip, much easier than ironing the entire sheet. I hate ironing.

Despite the length of time it took to make, the curtain looks amazing. I am so impressed that I could make a ruffle curtain for so cheap and looks just like the pricier one!

So far, this is what I have changed as part of my master bedroom makeover:

New Bedding Set
DIY Painted Curtain

The next project will be a DIY Ruffled Rug!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment