Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Simple Tutu Tutorial


Ohhh Hobby Lobby how do I love thee...While I was shopping for the materials for this necklace I came across spools of tulle for 50% off! My niece's birthday was coming up so I decided to make her a tutu like the one I found on Pinterest.



I found the original tutorial at The Ribbon Tutorial blog. This is another easy tutorial to follow, she even sells the supplies to make this tutu. I found all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby but I don't know if the stores back home carry the same variety of tulle.

Here is what I did!

I used 3 rolls of tulle per tutu.


The first task was cutting all the tulle. Its an easy step but takes a while (there are 25 yds per spool!). I cut my strips 18 inches in length.
 

This is the step I cheated on, meaning I had my mom help out. While I was cutting the tulle, she sewed the elastic together. She sewed by hand (she used a loop stitch), but you could easily use a sewing machine too. 
 

The elastic comes in a little packet and in varying widths. I chose a wider band. I simply measured my daughter's hips with the elastic and cut it to fit. 
 

Take the sewn elastic band and put it around your thighs. 
 

Take one piece of tulle and tie it in a knot. But don't make it too tight, you should be able to still slide the tulle along the elastic. 
 

Then tie it in another knot, but in the other direction.
  

These are the 3 colors I went with, so I just kept repeating this pattern. Notice all the glitter everywhere..
 



Once you cover all the elastic with tulle, decide which part is the top and push all the knots down accordingly. 


*This is an optional step if you want to add a cute bow!*

Push the tulle apart to create a space to wrap a piece of ribbon around. I used hot glue to attach the ribbon. Now, you have a place to clip on a hairbow to the skirt! I used THIS tutorial to make my hairbow.




Ta-Daaa! You now have a super cute, easy, and inexpensive tutu. I ended up making 2 tutus, one for my niece and one for my daughter. Both girls love playing dress up and I can see them having lots of fun with these tutus!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment