Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Adventures with Cooking Healthy...

Usually I am very good at eating healthy but since Hubs left I have sorta veered off track. It is really hard to cook for one...well one and a half. I don't mind eating leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing all week. I decided this week I would get back to a healthy diet AND back to cooking. My mom shared this awesome cook book with me, Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific. It is a HUGE cookbook and so far I am impressed. The recipes are easy to prepare and they don't taste half bad. Now sometimes I'll tweak them a little, usually its just adding more seasoning. I wanted to share my favorite one I've found so far:

Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning mix (I used HOT taco seasoning mix)
1 cup water
1 cup fat-free sour cream
8 (6-8 inch) flour tortillas (I used whole grain tortillas)
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1.5 cups shredded reduced fat Cheddar Cheese
2 tablespoons sliced green onions

Preheat over to 375. In a non-stick skillet, heat the spinach, black beans, taco seasoning, and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cook for 8-10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
On each tortilla, spread 1 tbsp. enchilada sauce, about 1/3 cup of spinach mixture, and 1 tbsp. of cheese. Roll up each tortilla placing the seam side down in a baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the remaining enchilada sauce over the filled enchiladas, cover, and bake for 15-18 minutes.
Uncover and garnish with the remaining cheese and green onions. Continue baking for 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.


Voila! Only 266 Calories, 14 g. Protein, 39 g. Carbs, & 5 g. Fat per serving! They are actually pretty tasty too. I like mine a little spicier so I used the HOT taco seasoning but you can always go more mild. The Bestie even agrees these are pretty good. If you try it out, let me know how you like it!


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I agree, it's so hard to cook just for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds ok, still love ya Cassy...

    ReplyDelete