Thursday, February 3, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...

Thank goodness payday came this week! I was running low or completely out of some of my essentials. It has taken years of trying new products to find my list of favorite things and I wanted to share! Also I am hoping in return I can get some advice about a few things to add to this list :)
  • Philosophy Purity Made Simple. Once I found this one-step face wash, I knew I'd never use anything else on my face! I have very oily, acne-prone skin. Not the little zits, but the big massive cystic acne. Yucky. It has taken YEARS of prescriptions and over the counter meds to combat my acne. I have this face wash to thank. I am amazed at how well this stuff works because it is very gentle but still gets the job done PLUS it removes my makeup. 
  • Philosophy On A Clear Day. This is an oil-free all over acne treatment. Like all other Philosophy products I have used, this is very gentle on my skin. It has 0.5% salicylic acid but it doesn't burn when I put it on and doesn't dry out my skin very much. I use it twice a day, under my makeup and before bed time, and it keeps my skin clear.
  • Proactiv Refining Mask or Philosophy On A Clear Day Acne Spot Treatment. When I do feel a zit coming on, I dab either of these on it before I go to sleep and when I wake up in the morning its not quite the catastrophe that it could have been! Both of these use sulfur as the active ingredient and I find when its combined with the salicylic acid it really helps prevent a huge breakout. Both are gentle on my skin and cause no burning!
  • Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector. Because I deal with cystic acne, I have alot of scarring to deal with. Lovely purple and red spots on my face. This stuff is a miracle worker! It is rather pricey but it is so worth it! Within 2 weeks I can see the scars fading. I used to never leave my house without makeup because the scarring was so bad it looked like I still had blemishes all over my face. After using this product religiously, I can walk out without makeup and I even get compliments on my skin!
  • Clinique All About Eyes Serum. Under my eyes I tend to deal with alot of puffiness and dryness. I get this in the eye massage tube and it really brightens and de-puffs my under eye area. 

  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Best. Face. Lotion. Ever. Nothing even compares to this stuff! It is so lightweight, absorbs quickly, and works! With all the acne product I use I tend to get dry areas and this lotion fixes it without leaving behind that oily feeling. Its oil-free and won't cause breakouts either. You can even get it now with SPF. 
  • BareMinerals. Since I have super oily skin, wearing liquid foundation in the heat and humidity in summer is a huge mess. I was amazed at how well powders could cover my face just like a liquid but still be lightweight and not melt off. This is a must for people that deal with makeup sliding off their face! The foundation even has SPF 15.


  • Clinique Even Better Makeup SPF 15. When I do wear a liquid foundation in the cooler months, this one does double duty. Along with being a light-medium coverage base, it also has the dark spot corrector product mixed in! So in the winter months that is one less product I have to use because they have combined it with the liquid foundation. 

  • Urban Decay Shadow Primer Potion in Sin. I have used many different eye shadow primers to help my eyeshadow not get all creasy by the end of the day. This one actually works AND it adds a touch of color. Its a nice shiney nude color. You can get it in different colors or no color at all.  
  • Smashbox Cream Eye Liner in Midnight Brown. I apply this stuff with a smudger brush and its perfect every time! I don't have the most steady hand, but applying with the brush is effortless. A trick I use: I blow warm air on the liner before I dip the brush in it so it applies easier. 


  • Sephora Lash Plumper Mascara in Brown. I have tried all the ridiculously expensive mascaras out there, if my husband knew how much money I wasted on find the perfect volumizing mascara he would not be a happy camper! This stuff is $12 at Sephora and it works BETTER than the pricey brands. It not only makes my eyes look like I have lots of lashes, but it also lengthens.
  • Smashbox Makeup Brushes. Since I use the powder makeup, a soft brush is a must! These are not cheap but OMGoodness do they feel amazing when applying makeup. I have the face/body brush for my powders and the smudger brush for my eye liner.
  • Nivea Body Lotions. I wash my hands a million times a day and even though I have an oily face, my arms & legs get ashy. I use this stuff on my body after a shower and I have some by my sink when I wash my hands. Its lightweight, absorbs quickly, and doesn't feel greasy. Plus it works better than the heavier lotions that make my hands feel all gross. 
  • Colgate Total Toothpaste. I have used this stuff for years and I can brush in the morning and by lunchtime my breath still smells minty. 
  • Suave Clinical Protection Deodorant. You can buy the Secret brand, but this one works the same and costs much less. I can put this stuff on and it'll keep me sweat/stink free for 2 days!           
  • Nicole/OPI Nail Polish. Both are made by the same company, Nicole is just slightly cheaper. This polish endures the many hand washes I put my nails through and manages to last longer than the rest.
  • Chi Flatiron. Love it, it works well and has taken a beating yet still works faithfully! While my hair is naturally board straight, I use this to tame the ends of my layers. It is a pricey investment but I've had mine for 5 years now with zero problems. 
I hope this list is helpful to some of you, I know it took me almost 10 years to figure out! I know the makeup and skin products can be quite pricey. Luckily the only product I run out of quickly is the acne gel. Also, the NEX sells Philosophy, Clinique, Smashbox, and BareMinerals for much cheaper than the other stores. Though the advantage of shopping at Sephora or Ulta is their rewards points program if you like that sort of thing.

What I would like to add to this list: A good volumizing shampoo and conditioner that won't dry out my hair. I highlight my very fine hair and the problem I come across is either A) the product doesn't volumize, or B) it does volumize but it dries out my hair.
Also I would LOVE to find the perfect lipstick/gloss. I love the staying power of lipstick and how a gloss feels soft on my lips I just haven't found a product yet that combines those two well. 

3 comments:

  1. What have you tried for your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a man...not interested

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penguinia: I've used Paul Mitchell, BedHead, Redken, and Living Proof. I am currently using Tresemme and it is okay, maybe I just have too high of expectations for my limp hair.

    Walter: If you aren't interested why did you read it :P

    ReplyDelete