Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Prayers For Logan

I have been MIA for a few days due to my hectic schedule, so tonight when I finally had a chance to catch up on the blogging world I was moved by all the posts about a little boy named Logan. He is a neighbor to a fellow blogger over at Goodnight Moon and he was diagnosed with a stage 4 Wilms Tumor. She is holding a raffle to raise money for his family. Please go over to Goodnight Moon and check out what you can do to help! 

This story hits a little too close to home for me as my sister dealt with childhood cancer. Cancer has also recently struck a close friend who is not even old enough to drink but is dealing with deployment, pregnancy, and a cancer diagnosis. Cancer is such an ugly word and is far too common. It can strike no matter what race, gender, or religion you are. 

While I know there are not many cures out there, I can take solace in the fact that our treatment of cancers have advanced tremendously. Have you ever heard of a little place called St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? This place is top notch and is amazing during such a dark time in people's lives. My sister was treated there for a number of years until they declared her in remission. I have never been in a hospital full of such caring people. The staff here see the saddest and most heartbreaking cases of cancer in children and young adults yet they are so full of hope. Every time my sister had an appointment, they paid for airfare, hotel, food, and transportation from the hotel to the hospital. Not a dime was out of pocket. For families that need to stay long term, they provide lodging for free at the Ronald McDonald House. 

I was on their website tonight and their featured patient of the month is a young girl named Nylah who was also diagnosed with a Wilms tumor like little Logan. Her story so far is a positive one and I hope and pray the same is true for Logan. Please head over to Goodnight Moon and help raise money for his family!





No comments:

Post a Comment