Friday, March 9, 2012

BBQ Shrimp Recipe

Since last night was one of Hubs final nights home for a while, I decided to spoil him with Southern cooking! He loves shrimp and even though it is pricey here, due to the special occasion I overlooked the cost.

This recipe came from Holly Clegg, she has a "trim&TERRIFIC" series of cookbooks. I own one of them and I cook from it quite often. The recipes are yummy AND they are healthy! 

I came across her blog and found this BBQ Shrimp recipe from her "trim&TERRIFIC Gulf Coast Favorites Cookbook". After making the shrimp, I will definitely be buying this cookbook!

BBQ Shrimp
 
Makes 4-6 servings

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fat-free Italian or reduced-fat Caesar dressing
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds unpeeled large shrimp
1/3 cup light beer, room temperature
1/2 cup clam juice or fat-free chicken broth

1. In large nonstick large skillet, combine all ingredients, except shrimp, beer, and broth. Cook over medium heat until sauce begins to boil.
2. Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes. Add beer and broth and cook until shrimp are done, 5-7 minutes.

Nutritional information per serving: Calories 207, Calories from fat (%) 44, Fat (g) 11, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 196, Sodium (mg) 614, Carbohydrate (g) 6, Dietary Fiber (g) 1, Sugars (g) 2, Protein (g) 22 Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat


For our dinner, I doubled all the ingredients except the shrimp & the cayenne. I went with 3lbs of shrimp and used just the listed amount of cayenne. The only thing I would change about this recipe: I would suggest you let the shrimp soak for a while, around 10 minutes. Just like you would do if you were boiling crawfish!

My kitchen smelled so delicious while this was cooking, Hubs was instantly curious when it was going to be ready. I paired it with angel hair pasta and french loaf bread (for soaking up the juices mmmm!). Hubs also loved deer sausage so he grilled up a package of that too.


I will most definitely cook this recipe again, especially after Hubs gets home from deployment!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment