Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lessons Learned and Cranberry Pineapple Muffins

Major holidays are always the hardest time to be so far away from family, especially when Hubs is deployed. I have been kind of bummed about it all week. I tried to make myself feel better a few ways:


"Do you know how long it would take at the gym to burn off the junk you would eat on Easter if you were at home with family?!"


"Do you really want to deal with Little Miss being on a constant sugar high from all the candy Grandma & Grandpa would give her?"


The important stuff like that. HaHa!

While I am sitting around wallowing in self-pity, a few unfortunate life events happened to friends. Boy oh boy, did I feel like jerk. My thoughts and prayers have been with my friends constantly. I can't imagine the amount of strength they must have to endure what has happened. I am here getting all worked up over being away from family on Easter and there are people out there having REAL problems. Time to get over yourself Shannon and focus on the positive, be there for the people in your life that really need you.


So this morning I woke up, said a prayer for my friends, put a smile on my face because I was excited about spending the day with my daughter. I was so happy I made muffins!




Cranberry Pineapple Muffins

Makes 12 Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp plus 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup margarine
1 egg, beaten
1 cup skim milk
1 cup fresh or dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Preheat the oven to 400. Line a muffin pan with paper cups, or coat it with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and margarine with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate small bowl, combine the beaten egg and the milk; add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in the cranberries, pineapple, and pecans. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups three-quarters full.

Combine the 1 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the remaining muffin batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove immediately from the pan, and cool on a wire rack.

From "The New Holly Clegg Trim and Terrific Cookbook"





No comments:

Post a Comment